Thursday, November 6, 2008

Giving vs. Taking


We all know the time of giving is coming. While we should never forget all year long to give to those less fortunate, this is the time of year with the holiday season on our doorstep that we will be reminded to do so. Whether it be on the news, in the newspaper, friends, family, church, school.....we will all hear the need for assistance to many in our community.

This year has been an excruciating year for so many people. Millions are in the most desperate times of their lives. Our devastating economy has taken crucial blows and left people jobless, homeless, hungry and tired. Times like we are in now leads to the loss of hope, courage, faith, and strength of our fellow man. Their spirits are broken. Many don't know where to begin picking up the pieces.

There has been a 25 to 30 percent increase in the number of individuals who are needing assistance this year compared to last. Many people/families that have never needed help in the past are needing it now. I know I personally have felt the effects of our sluggish economy and in good times it's hard to make ends meet let alone during the time we are in at the present. We are all feeling this crunch.

I must always keep in mind there are people much worse off than I am. I have two wonderful, healthy boys, my family, a great job and a beautiful home. Even during these hard times, I am still able to provide for my family. I am very blessed. But others have not been so fortunate and it's not because of a lack of blessings. They have just hit hard times.

Therefore, while it might be hard for us to do so....I would like to encourage anybody out there to contribute to the local food bank. If you know a family in need, please help them if you can this Thanksgiving and Christmas. Maybe this will help put it in perspective. If you can take what you spend even half of a work week on fast food, coffee from Starbucks or the 7-11, or something that is not a necessity but a privilege for you and put that towards a couple cans and/or boxes of food, you have done your part. Giving vs. Taking.

Remember your blessings and bless another individual or family by giving. Strengthen their spirit, put hope in their hearts and most of all give them some relief. Help to heal those that have been hurt so terribly this last year. I wish you all the most happy holiday season this year and pray there are better times ahead.

God Bless!!!!

No comments: